6.17.2009

Second Avenue West by Domicile, Take 2

Domicile recently launched the sales of their Second Avenue West project that's actually on Bronson, and since last week 30% of the units are conditionally sold. Looking at the price list and floorplans, it is not surprising to see that almost half the one bedroom units have been snapped up. If I myself were buying into this project I would have to agree with these savvy buyers: for my money the one bedrooms are the best Second West has to offer, both in terms of layout and value.

That said, before I put down my deposit cheque, I would want to take a walk along Second Ave from Bronson to Bank St... starting on the west side of Bronson to appreciate just how long it will take to cross the street. (Perhaps it may be faster to cross at Carling Ave?)

Walking back, I'd take a detour to the outdoor patio of Forno Antico at 683 Bronson, across the street from the Powell Lofts. Aside from enjoying some very good wood-fired pizza, I would also be able to gauge the level of traffic and noise coming off Bronson, particularly relevant in light of the fact that Domicile condos are one of the few that allow for balcony bbqs.

Once I convinced myself that I am fine with the location and noise coming off Bronson, I would likely go for The Madison, my favourite model in Second Avenue West, with one bedroom plus a walled-in den. At 763sqft this is more than enough space for one person, and possibly even a couple (a very easy-going couple), with the closed-in den that can double as a reading room, home office or artist's studio... add a murphy bed, and this is perfect as a guest room with your in-laws accessing the bathroom from the second door off the ensuite:



The master bedroom is also well designed with a full 10" x 12" of space (that's big for new construction!) adjacent to a walk-through closet leading to the (cheater) ensuite bathroom. I further like that Domicile seems to have reinstated foyers in their condo designs—I really don't care to open the front door of a condo and find myself in the middle of a kitchen.

While I am inclined to think that this one+den is worse off than the The Delancey (the other one+den model facing the back), I also know that one rarely sits out on a balcony for much of anything, give or take an evening post-prandial.

But given that The Madison is recessed from the street by about 50 feet, I think chances are good that the Bronson expressway wouldn't deter me from grilling steaks and the 10' x 6' balcony makes a tempting case for al fresco dining. And as an alternative, I have the granite kitchen island, a nice fixture in all Second West units and a necessary one, since the floorplans really don't allow for a formal dining room set.